By now, you should be done with Phase 2 of the HCG Diet, and you are eager to find out more about HCG Diet Phase 3. You have spent a couple of weeks taking the HCG supplements while at the same time sticking to 500 calories diet per day. This action will have already started showing the effects of the HCG Diet on your body. Phase 3 of the HCG Diet is the step that you should be focusing on.
An Overview of HCG Diet Phase 3
Phase 3 of the HCG Diet is commonly referred to as “Maintenance” Phase. Actually, this is the last phase of the HCG Diet plan and should last for not less than 3 weeks. This means your body is now used to taking the low-calorie diet and HCG supplements. It is, therefore, time to put an end to HCG intake after which you can give your body a few days to get rid of HCG from the system.
Maintaining the 500 calorie diet intake is of great importance as you approach the final days of this diet. You should, therefore, continue with the calorie intake for 3 more days after finishing phase 3 of the HCG Diet plan. A dieter can then start taking larger chunks of food once the body rids your system off the remaining HCG. As soon as your body is ready, you can increase the calorie intake to about 1500 calories in a single day.
Why the Maintenance Phase is Important
The maintenance phase of the HCG Diet is just as important as any other phase. This is because it also contributes to your weight loss quest. You should, therefore, do it well if you are to achieve the desired outcome. Here are some of the reasons as to why maintenance is important.
- Train your Body’s Metabolism
Your body’s metabolism is likely to be reduced during phase 2 of the HCG Diet. Therefore, the maintenance phase helps in re-training your body’s metabolism so that it may get back to normal.
- Gives Your Body a Break
Your body has by now taken enough HCG needed to achieve weight loss. It is thus important to do phase 3 if you are to get immunity to the HCG supplements. This is because the HCG will be completely quashed out of your body’s system (3).
- Start New, Healthy Habits
Breaking a habit that you are used to can only take 21 days. If you have just completed phase 2, then there is a high possibility that you have already stopped bad habits like eating sugary treats and soda drinking. Since all the bad habits are gone, you can start a new, healthy diet. This will, in turn, help you maintain the new body weight and shape that you have just achieved.
- Lock in Your Weight Set Point
The main goal of phase 3 is to keep your new body weight in a range of 2 pounds below and above. Since a human body can maintain a consistent weight, it is important that you first train it. This is why you have to pass through phase 3 as it is spent training your body to remain stable even with a lower weight. It thus becomes easier to maintain this new weight in the long run.
How to do Phase 3 of the HCG Diet Plan
Most dieters are always happy whenever they start phase 3 of the HCG Diet. This is because you get the chance to introduce new food choices into your meal plan. During the maintenance phase, you can eat foods like chicken breast and steak which were not allowed during phase 3. Dairy products such as Cheese can also be a good addition to your diet during the maintenance phase. These products will add the much-needed protein for maintaining your body.
Dieters prefer taking eggs as a substitute for meat during the second phase of the HCG Diet plan. However, in the maintenance phase, you can add eggs to your diet list instead of taking it a substitute. Since eggs are a good source of proteins, they will also play a key role when it comes to maintaining your body.
Having said the above, it is necessary that you avoid exceeding 1500 calories in a day during phase 3 of the HCG Diet meal plan. This is because anything above 1500 per day, will end up ruining every important step that you have made. You must, therefore, be ready to strictly follow the recommended diet if you are to get the most out of the HCG Diet plan.
Foods to Eat During Phase 3 of the HCG Diet Plan
Phase 3 of the HCG Diet plan is usually not restricted to specific food choices. However, just like any other phase, you have to make a good decision if you are to maintain weight loss. Here are some good food choices that you can rely on during the maintenance phase.
During phase 3, a dieter must be ready to maintain a higher protein level during the entire day. The most preferred sources of proteins are eggs and cheese as they will help in the weight maintenance quest.
Vegetables are important as they help in the maintenance of your body. They can, therefore, help you maintain the new body weight as long as you are taking the right veggies. Some of the veggies that should part of your diet include:
- Sea Vegetables like Nori
- Hearty greens such as mustard greens, kale, collards just to mention a few.
Fruits are known to be low in fats and thus they will help you in losing weight. In addition to this, they will also help in low weight maintenance as they contain nutrients such as dietary fiber, Potassium and Vitamin C. However, you must take fruits which are lowest in sugar. Some of the fruits that you should take include:
Food to Avoid During Phase 3 of the HCG Diet Plan
Not everything that you eat will help you maintain the new weight. For this reason, you must be fully aware of the foods which should never appear on your plate during phase 3 of the HCG Diet plan.
The so-called carbohydrates are by far the most dangerous foods to include in your diet. This is because they may end up leading to an increase in weight thus derailing your weight loss plan. Some of the carbohydrates that you should completely avoid taking include:
Vegetables to be avoided in phase 3
Although veggies are a good addition to your diet, it is still necessary that you avoid the starchier vegetables. This is mainly because they contain carbohydrates that are not needed during the third phase. Starchier vegetables to avoid include:
- Winter Squashes
Fruits to be avoided in Phase 3
Fruits with a high sugar level should never make it to your table when doing Phase 3 of the HCG Diet Plan. By keeping them at bay, you are sure of maintaining the recommended levels of carbohydrates in your body. These fruits include:
- Dried Fruit
Exercise during HCG Diet Phase 3
Along with the HCG meal plan, it is necessary that you make exercises a daily routine. However, you do not have to push yourself to the limits as most people may think. Instead, you can spend 15-20 minutes of your precious time doing light exercises like walking, aerobics and jogging . By combining exercises and the recommended diet plan, you are sure of completing Phase 3 without encountering any problems whatsoever.
HCG Phase 3 Diet Recipes
They are quite a number of recipes that you can rely on during phase 3 of the HCG Diet plan. Some of these recipes include:
- Greek yogurt with berries
- Artichoke salad
- Creamy pasta
- Feta salad
- Kickin’ salad
1st 3 Weeks HCG Recipe: Spaghetti Made with Miracle Noodles
This delicious spaghetti recipe is very safe for the first 3 weeks of HCG Phase 3. This is because it makes use of zero-calorie miracle noodles. You must, however, prepare it using a tomato sauce that does not have sugar.
- 1 (8-9 ounce) bag of shirataki noodles
- 1 clove fresh garlic
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp mixed Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 lb lean ground beef (we use 90/10)
- 16 ounces Simple Girl Tomato Italiano Sauce or sugar-free tomato sauce
- ½ small onion
- freshly-cracked black pepper (to taste)
- sea salt (to taste)
- 2 fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Parmesan cheese, optional
- You will first have to prepare the miracle noodle before setting them aside.
- Chop the onions after which you should mince the garlic into small pieces.
- Cook the lean ground on a pan while breaking it using a spatula. You can then transfer it to a larger pot that has not been heated.
- You can now add the pieces of onions and garlic to the meat and place it over medium-high heat.
- Add your low sugar type of tomato sauce and any other spice. Cover and let it cook for about 4-6 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the heat before adding the prepared miracle noodles.
- Garnish with fresh basil and serve while hot.
2nd 3 Weeks HCG Recipe: Fruit Salad
This recipe is only allowed in the 2nd 3 weeks of HCG maintenance phase because of its high sugar content.
- 1 kiwi fruit
- ½ cup grapes
- ¼ cup pineapple
- ¼ cup honeydew melon
- ¼ cup watermelon (seedless is preferred)
- 1 small apple (any variety)
- 1-2 packets powdered stevia
- 1 tbsp. all-natural orange juice
- You will first have to wash all the fruits that you are going to use.
- Now peel the skin of kiwi, before slicing it into ¼ inch slices.
- Slice the pineapple, honeydew melon, watermelon, and apple. You must remember to remove all the seeds of each fruit.
- Add the sliced fruits to one bowl before sprinkling the powdered stevia packet.
- Cover the bowl and place it in a fridge for at least one hour.
- Remove from the fridge and enjoy.
Dos and Don’ts of HCG Phase 3
Here are some of the things that you should do during the maintenance phase of the HCG Diet plan if you are to maintain weight loss.
- Exercise on a daily basis
- Drink plenty of water
- Measure your weight on a regular basis to check whether you are making positive steps.
- Increase the amount of proteins in your diet.
- Make sure that your weight does not exceed about 2 pounds from the last weight.
- Ensure you are eating enough food.
- Eat organic food if possible.
To make the maintenance phase of the HCG Diet Plan successful, you must avoid doing the following things:
- Avoid adding high carbs or sugar into the diet plan.
- Do not continue the diet after taking HCG out of your system.
- Avoid fruits with high sugar content.
- Do not eat starchier vegetables
The maintenance phase of the HCG Diet plan is meant to help you maintain the new weight. You should, therefore, follow every instruction as instructed if you are to avoid gaining weight. Remember to avoid taking food rich in carbohydrates. Instead, you can focus on proteins as they will make the maintenance phase fruitful.
Shannon, a self-employed, foodie and social media junkie lives in Sunnyvale, CA. Formerly a Nutritionist who left a professional career stays at home with kids. Currently writes for purehcgdietdrops.com and other weight loss supplement websites. You can reach her on FB for weight loss queries.